18.7.07


An online friend and fellow artist Adam Koford is a contributor at Drawn! A few weeks ago he said he'd pitch the 100 Artists Project. I know for a fact that being linked on Drawn! gets you noticed as an artist. Not being an artist that has a gallery in SoHo, I was fortunate enough to receive a whopping 5 requests for robots when Adam wrote about his, Len Paralta's and my projects to bring small, custom art to the masses with our Hoboes, Zombies, Monsters, Monkeys and Robots. (They have had considerably more success with it than I have for some reason.)

Adam was going to ask me a few questions about the project, but instead took the info from the web site and just put up a post. I had no idea when he was going to do it as he's been moving for the past week so imagine my shock when I woke up today to 50 emails from people wanting to sign up for the project. By the time I got to work it was up to 70. Right now we're almost at 100. And there have been some new countries represented as well; Slovenia, Brunei, Italy, Germany, Chile, Spain, Korea and Ireland.

All I can say is that it got to the right venue. The original idea on Penciljack drew about 130 sign ups (from which about 30 came through so far) and a group listed on Flickr as well as a few bumps from other message boards and the count is at 55 submitted pieces of art. That's been over almost 4 months. In 12 hours thanks to Drawn! I was having a hard time keeping up with all the emails this morning. Plus, people are linking from their sites back to Drawn! and I've even seen a Spanish translation of the project. I'm not sure what it said, but hopefully it was good.

This was needed too. I hadn't received any art in weeks, the one exception being a replacement piece from someone who's art I'd lost. The responses so far have been outstanding and I'm a bit scared now that it's becoming more than I can handle. It's been very "seat of the pants" until now and I'm constantly worried I'm overlooking a key aspect to the entire project.

I've had to make a few changes to the site really quickly. I didn't have an FAQ and the Thank You page after submitting the form was a bit 'pleh." I'm not terribly happy with the site. It's clunky and if I want to change the header or footer I was dumb and didn't make those their own files so I have to change every page. I should change that. But now my main issue is just keeping track of it all. I'm sure with the new surge of interest more art will come in and like everything else lately it may be more than I'm set up to handle. Some times I wish it wasn't a one man operation. I had a couple guys help me out to start with the design and some programming suggestions, but that was it.

So yeah, if you'd like to help and have skills doing projects like this, I'd love to talk to you.

That's all, big day.

Carry on.

No comments: